Re: Apple WebKit's feedback on the First Party Sets proposal

> [...]
>>
>> Chrome's preferred approach to support use-cases that involve flow of user data across sites is to develop purpose-specific browser-mediated solutions which we are actively developing in various groups within the W3C across identity, payments, anti-fraud, ads targeting/measurement, etc. This allows us to prompt/inform users better; and also reason about the data flow and privacy properties better. However, we have so far been focusing on "cross-party"[1] flows for these use-cases.
>>
>> On Thursday's call, a couple of other members of the community group mentioned purpose-specific solutions as the preferred long-term approach for all cross-site use-cases (even if they are "same-party"[1]). Do you concur with that?
>>
>> Also, I've been thinking about your ideas for other potential use cases for FPS (indicating single-sign-on domains, and wording for the SAA prompt) - it sounds like you'd prefer to think FPS not as a "strict privacy boundary", but as something like a "loose collection of mutually trusting sites" which provide metadata that can be used to improve user experience or inform heuristics. Is that a reasonable interpretation? If yes, I was wondering if you had considered a web developer-specified list of say ~5 registrable domains that could be hosted at a .well-known location; relying primarily on technical checks (strict set of enumerations for the domain's purpose, limit of 5 domains, no domain should have been present in a previous list served to the browser by another site), and if needed, some form of accountability via transparency logs. It seems like such a design may be compatible with current heuristics in browsers that allow some limited number of un-prompted cross-site interactions. Of course, heuristics are meant to be tuned, but I'm trying to gauge if there are abuse scenarios that I haven't thought about.
>
> JSON in a well-known location was our starting point but we concluded that the risk of sets of domains that don’t belong to the same org/party was too high. So we looked into leveraging the organization field in EV certs and then we looked into DNS (joint domain control). Around this time, the community was deprecating EV certs. The bridge between web standards and DNS was too long when we were the only browser interested. That’s when we started leaning toward a static list which can be inspected by anyone at any time. The scope of the global web gave us pause on the curation part though.
>
> But I think that’s as far as we got to something viable. In detail:
> Static, curated list. Curation remains a challenge.
> Max five domains per set. This is to limit misuse and to have a chance to explain to users.
> SSO the clear purpose of the whole thing, thus a requirement to state the SSO domain within the five.
> No automatic cross-site cookies or storage.

Trying to remember all of this. I think we did say that we’d be fine with browsers allowing prompt-less cross-site cookies and storage within a set as long as it went through the SAA path.

Why? Because that would more or less guarantee that all browsers got to make a policy choice. If a major browser like Chrome allows automatic cross-site cookies within sets, all other browsers will likely be faced with broken websites if they don’t follow suit. But if all sites need to call SAA upon a user gesture, and the difference in browser policies was prompt or no prompt, then 1) browsers would have a chance to choose their default policy, and 2) all users could be offered a choice regardless of the default policy in their browser.

   Regards, John