RE: privacy review notes on EPUB 3.3

Hi Nick,

> These sections are marked as non-normative, but then include lots of normative language. I understand from the conformance sections that you don't intend that text to have the meaning of RFC 2119. However, I am concerned by this as a confusing trend

Right, W3C has adopted RFC 8174. I can kind of appreciate why, given the contortions mocked by RFC 6919 <https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/rfc6919/> . šŸ˜‰

More seriously, weā€™ve tended not to enforce requirements that canā€™t be tested and/or are going to be implementation specific. Just as an example, an EPUB publication canā€™t enforce that a publisher obtain consent to collect data prior to a user opening it. We know you should do it, but when weā€™ve made these sorts of statements normative in the past theyā€™ve been called ā€œaspirationalā€. Similarly, a reading system should allow users to control any information collected, but thereā€™s no single solution to the problem.

I donā€™t personally have an issue with these being stated in normative terms, but I donā€™t have enough experience with W3C standardization process to know if theyā€™d raise flags as being underspecified if we did.

> The rs and a11y specs note cases where certain behavior might violate privacy laws ā€¦ I don't think that should be the motivation for protecting user privacy

Right, itā€™s not even necessary in the accessibility spec to cite privacy laws as itā€™s not adding anything. Iā€™ll have to go back and see what the RS spec says.

> External resources should be loaded securely, for example over HTTPS.

This sounds like a useful restriction.

Apologies for being selective and brief in my comments, as Iā€™m on the road right now. It would probably help to get your concerns into the github tracker rather than discuss over email. Iā€™ll try and do that when I have a minute.

Matt