Re: PING review issues tracker (was: Re: Cross-Spec Privacy/Security Risks)

On Tue, 26 Jan 2021, Matthew Finkel wrote:

>> This page shows _open_ privacy review issues:
>>
>> https://w3c.github.io/horizontal-issue-tracker/?repo=w3cping/tracking-issues
>
> Ah! Thank you, Sam! This isn't what I was imagining, but I think it's better in
> some ways. Is there any place where PING tracks privacy risks/considerations
> that are flagged in the spec but a tracking issue is not created? For example, a
> draft already says that some new functionality could be incorporated into a
> browser fingerprint, but an issue is not created for it, for whatever reason?

Our[*] self-review questionnaire and Nick's excellent fingerprinting
doc are the repositories for such knowledge.  They track _types_ of
privacy harm, though they're not complete catalogs of fingerprinting
surface or other individual "leaks" in the platform.

https://w3ctag.github.io/security-questionnaire/
https://w3c.github.io/fingerprinting-guidance/

If you see something that isn't identified in those documents, open an
issue against one of them?

(There are some open issues already, including a request to add
ephemeral fingerprinting.  If you or anyone else have some cycles and
want to wield a pen, feel free to write some text...
https://github.com/w3c/fingerprinting-guidance/issues )

-- Sam

[*] We publish the Questionnaire jointly with W3C's TAG.