Re: Process CG conversations about horizontal review

On 7/8/20 12:37 PM, Chris Wilson wrote:
> And as a manager of process in one of my different roles, I'd like to
> point out the inherent fallacy in the statement "which may make it
> harder for us to introduce improvements."  To be blunt - if it's not
> part of the Process, it's not required.  You can ask all you want for
> other groups to follow the PING's improvements as they develop
> standards, but they just don't need to - unless it's part of the
> Process.  Will the Process need to continue to be improved and refined?
> Sure - but it *is* the Process by which the W3C community builds
> standards.  As David says, If you see limitations or mistakes in the
> Process discussions, please, please participate; that's the whole point.

Chris, I think we're talking about different sorts of "improvements".

I'm talking about the basic mechanics for how to ask for review (and who
to ask) and the prerequisite work required (e.g. document sec and pric
concerns in the doc, or fill in a questionnaire) noting that those might
change - e.g. i18n might ask for move from a checklist to something
in-line in docs.

In https://github.com/w3c/w3process/pull/401#issuecomment-653064218
I expressed concern about:

"Naming HR groups in the Process. What happens if we want to change who
does review or how? What happens if a charter expires? I note that when
the WebSec IG closed, we specified a process for Security reviews to be
coordinated by team - so we have seen a recent example of such a change
- and this could easily change again. I don't want it baked into Process."

Indeed, if we're naming the HR groups in the Process, shouldn't we also
take those groups off of the normal chartering cycle, lest we be left
with a process that requires action by a no-longer-existing group?

-- Sam