Re: Rotating Privacy Review Responsibilites

> On Dec 20, 2019, at 12:24 PM, Pete Snyder <psnyder@brave.com> wrote:
>
> Thanks all for the feedback!
>
> Up top, I mean this to be a straw-proposal, to get thought shared; im not trying to defend any particular aspect of it (at the moment at least).
>
> Re: Tess and David
> ---
> I just wanted to highlight that the proposal was to require (or, strongly encourage) each organization to provide a person to do reviews, not for each person in PING to be obligated / expected to do reviews. I wasn’t clear from your remarks if that came across clearly.  If that wasn’t clear, does that change your opinion?

It would be highly unusual (perhaps unprecedented) for an Interest Group to mandate contribution of work product, even if it’s per-organization rather than per-individual. I don’t think it's a good idea. Specifically considering this particular proposal:

- Organizations should not be given an incentive to have fewer than two participants.
- Organizations that want to monitor the discussions but which do not have a participant who is qualified to perform a privacy review of a web standard should not be forced to provide one anyway; it’s not obvious that a low-quality review would be better than a later review.

Encouragement seems better than a mandate with respect to these two factors.

(Even Working Groups do not require actual Work, except from volunteers.)

Regards,
Maciej