Re: Rotating Privacy Review Responsibilites

Hi,

Pete wrote:

> As we discussed on the PING call today, there is much interest in having
> a standing rotation for doing privacy reviews.
[…]
> Open and eager for peoples’ thoughts on this!

As I said on the call, I'm in favor of both increasing the number of
people willing and able to do reviews, and coming up with some way to
ensure that reviews get assigned roughly evenly across that group of
people. While I'm highly sympathetic to the problems you're trying to
solve, I don't think this is a good approach.

I'm a participant on the TAG which, along with PING and several other
groups[1], is charged with performing horizontal reviews at W3C. One
significant difference between the TAG and PING is that the TAG is a
small, elected/appointed body, whereas PING membership is open to all
who are interested in privacy.

TAG participants have an obligation—either to the body who elected them
(the AC), or to the person who appointed them (the Director)—to
discharge our duties.

I don't think joining PING (which again, anyone who has an interest in
privacy can join and is encouraged to join) imposes a similar obligation
on folks.

Tess

1. https://www.w3.org/wiki/DocumentReview#How_to_get_horizontal_review