RE: Walk through a paradigmatic privacy review in 'public' (TPAC)?

I agree teaching how to fish makes sense.  Would this be worth to reach out to IAPP for a possible training session?  I am on the programming committee for the upcoming event in IAPP PSR (Privacy.Secirty.Risk) San Diego in October and can ask.  Would anyone be interested in doing a session if this was possible?

From: Rob van Eijk [mailto:rob@blaeu.com]
Sent: Saturday, May 6, 2017 3:46 AM
To: Nat Sakimura <sakimura@gmail.com>; David Singer <singer@apple.com>; public-privacy@w3.org
Subject: RE: Walk through a paradigmatic privacy review in 'public' (TPAC)?

>> is there a ‘paradigmatic review’ which would help educate the community what it’s like to think about privacy issues?
Obviously, scholars and standardization bodies have been working on this toping since many years. For instance the work on contextual privacy by Helen Nissenbaum, and the ISO 29100 serie. I believe that a paradigmatic review could include the following activities:
- identify privacy risks in the context of the application of the technology
- identify actors and their responsibilities,
- focus on privacy risks to the users concerned,
- focus on the risks stemming from the sensitivity of the data in relation to the harm the data may cause to the users concerned, e.g., when data is used outside of the intended context,
- identify (potential) adequate controls for each matching risk,
- make residual risks (identified risks without adequate mitigation) explicit.

For instance, the review of the RFID [1] is IMHO still an interesting. It was published in 2011. Annex III (pp. 14-16) of the RFID-pia framework [1] contains a list of examples of privacy risks. The examples were identified under the EU 95/46 framework for processing personal data (annex II, p. 13).

Rob

[1] http://ec.europa.eu/justice/data-protection/article-29/documentation/opinion-recommendation/files/2011/wp180_annex_en.pdf