Re: local IP address (was Re: Request for feedback: Media Capture and Streams Last Call)

On 18-Aug-2015 05:16 am, Mike O'Neill <michael.oneill@baycloud.com> wrote:
> That’s why IPv6 had autoconfig privacy extensions, so the local IP addtress is based on a random number (i.e. not the MAC address) + the network prefix.

Major OSs only change the privacy address every 24 hours (iOS, OS X, Windows).  Is that sufficient to avoid tracking, compared with the relatively-permanent local NATted address (which due to how DHCP clients and servers work, will often re-assign the exact same IP address, so long as it is available in the pool).

-d