Re: Canvas fingerprinting

Jumping in to this discussion …

As a reminder, PING is working on fingerprinting guidance for Web specification authors. Thanks to Nick for leading this.

[Abstract: Exposure of settings and characteristics of browsers can impact user privacy by allowing for browser fingerprinting. This document defines different types of fingerprinting, considers distinct levels of mitigation for the related privacy risks and provides guidance for Web specification authors on how to balance these concerns when designing new Web features.]

The current (unofficial) draft is available here: https://w3c.github.io/fingerprinting-guidance/

It would be useful here to have a robust discussion about what can and should be done (if anything) with respect to canvas fingerprinting.

In any case, we would really like some more reviews and feedback on the draft.

Christine