Re: ENISA and the right to be forgotten

Thanks David -

That is a fair point. I was just trying to clear up one of the difficulties, which arises out of the word we happen to have ended up with.

I think Joe is right that a lot of the detailed implications aren't clear yet - and I'm afraid that's often a feature of EU legislation: the Commission itself often wants a degree of ambiguity to persist in its proposals, because that means it can make a bold statement of principle ("Protect kittens! They are cute!") and get broad consensus without having to get into the inconvenient details… and the member states often want ambiguity in the text, because it makes it easier for them to sign up to the bold principle and then exploit the wiggle-room when transposing EU requirements into national law (or interpreting those requirements in the courts, if no transposition is needed, as in the case of a Regulation).

When it comes specifically to passively-collected data generated in the course of your 'public acts', the same principles of 'purpose of collection and period of retention' can apply, I think, but it's still not a simple problem. For instance, even passive collection requires the collector to have done something so as to arrange for the collection to happen… (such as set up a CCTV system in the High Street). If that system has been set up to detect and/or prevent crime, then you have a purpose of collection that can be linked to some assumption about how long it is reasonable to retain the data. (I admit, that is at risk of being a "how long is a piece of string" question…).

So, on the face of it, there's a point at which it would be reasonable for an individual to go to the CCTV operator and say "there's no reasonable purpose in your retention of this data about me - I would like it to be deleted, please". As I say, though, it's not a simple problem: you could raise or lower the 'reasonableness' threshold for all kinds of reasons (the CCTV operator might say "we don't yet know if the data is obsolete; it would take us disproportionate effort to delete all and only footage of you; there's no point us deleting it, because it's not doing you any harm" etc.).

I think all I'm saying is - you're right, there is a principle here (namely, that if there's no reason for you to continue to hold data about me, I should have the option of asking you not to do so), but putting that principle into practice raises an awful lot of questions to which we don't have all the answers…

Robin Wilton
Technical Outreach Director - Identity and Privacy
Internet Society

email: wilton@isoc.org
Phone: +44 705 005 2931
Twitter: @futureidentity