Information related to Device API (DAP) agenda items for PING call 6 December 2012

Here is information related to agenda items referring to the Devices API (DAP) working group.

(1) Agenda item 3, Report out from the TPAC DAP WG meeting and privacy (Frederick/Rigo/Christine)

The DAP minutes for the session are available here: http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/materials/minutes-2012-11-02.html#item01

I also have some informal chair's notes as well (item 7): http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2012Nov/0105.html

Summary report:

Members of the W3C privacy interest group (PING) joined DAP to review privacy concerns using the Pick Contacts Web Intents specification to provide concrete context. (Joined by Christine Runnegar, Rigo and Nick).

Rigo clarified that even though the WG may not make normative conformance requirements for some privacy related items, documenting a SHOULD in an informative section has value as it provides a linkage to the legal system (e.g. this allows the question as to why it was not done given that the issue was documented).

General note that there is a data protection requirement for the transfer of user data outside the user sphere, so documents should indicate need for confidentiality in data transfers (but should not mandate SSL as there may be other other mechanisms used).

WG clarified case for debugging information and Rigo noted that this is indeed acceptable even in a production system as long as the use is limited.

Please take a  look at the following:

"Web Application Privacy Best Practices" W3C WG Note:   http://www.w3.org/TR/2012/NOTE-app-privacy-bp-20120703/

"Device API Privacy Requirements" W3C WG Note: http://www.w3.org/TR/2010/NOTE-dap-privacy-reqs-20100629/

Agreement to continue discussions on PING calls as needed.

(2) Agenda item 6, Proximity API

The Last Call of the Device APIs (DAP) Proximity API was published today and is located at http://www.w3.org/TR/2012/WD-proximity-20121206/

An example use case is  to detect when the phone is near a person's face (e.g. in a call) to avoid inadvertent touch events. The specification provides two  event mechanisms, one to indicate whether or not something is close and the other to provide implementation dependent distance information.  It appears that there  are no privacy considerations to note in the specification but feedback would be appreciated.

regards, Frederick

Frederick Hirsch, Nokia
Chair, W3C DAP Working Group