Re: TPAC breakout session - Is user agent Fingerprinting a lost cause?

On Oct 25, 2012, at 5:33 , Robin Wilton <wilton@isoc.org> wrote:

> I think this is a good discussion… among other things, it highlights the difficulty of legislating (e.g. the EU 'Cookie' Directive) in terms that are specific to a given technical mechanism.
>
> As a 'level-setter': I think it's definitely important for the technically competent to understand and explain the privacy and policy implications of a given function ("expressing a DNT preference") or mechanism ("cookie", "browser fingerprint"), but when it comes to legislating, those need to be translated into something else.

I totally agree.  There was a complaint recently that technical groups are discussing policy 'too much', and certainly I think regulators discuss technology  too much.  Don't tell us how to design things, or how to manage specific technologies; tell us the principles and policies, and we'll try to apply that to all the relevant technologies.  Regulating explicitly cookies just moves the problem to fingerprints, local storage, or a host of other techniques.

> The question is, what? Some jurisdictions, such as Europe's civil law countries, prefer to express things in terms of right (so DNT becomes a question of respecting the right to a private life); some prefer an approach based on outcomes ("you shouldn't do x if the result is at odds with the user's legitimate expectations"); some prefer an approach that can be tested in the courts ("if the user can prove harm, you'll be open to a law-suit").
>
> Nothing I've said here invalidates any of the points people have made… I just wanted to note that, IMO, trying to legislate technology by technology is going to be a never-ending game of Whack-a-Mole.

Exactly.