From: Rob van Eijk [mailto:rob@blaeu.com]
Sent: Wednesday, October 24, 2012 10:04 AM
To: public-privacy@w3.org
Subject: RE: TPAC breakout session - Is user agent Fingerprinting a lost cause?

Hi JC,

Fingerprinting is just like most cookies subject to article 5.3 of the e-privacy directive. A privacy risk that I see increasing as a consequence of DNT and EU cookie consent is that companies are most likely pushing towards a bypass of DNT, i.e. gaining out of band (server
based) consent and store that user choice in databases. Fingerprinting can be used in that usecase to identify a user and subsequently find out by querying the consent database whether a user has given consent.

Rob