Re: [saag] Liking Linkability

On 19 Oct 2012, at 15:31, Ben Laurie <benl@google.com> wrote:

> On 19 October 2012 13:01, Henry Story <henry.story@bblfish.net> wrote:

>>> I really feel like I am beating a dead horse at this point, but
>>> perhaps you'll eventually admit it. Your public key links you.
>>
>> The question is to whom? What is the scenario you are imagining, and who is
>> the attacker there?
>>
>>> Access
>>> control on the rest of the information is irrelevant. Indeed, access
>>> control on the public key is irrelevant, since you must reveal it when
>>> you use the client cert.
>>
>> You are imagining that the server I am connecting to, and that I have
>> decided to identify myself to, is the one that is attacking me? Right?
>> Because otherwise I cannot understand your issue.
>>
>> But then I still do not understand your issue, since I deliberately
>> did connect to that site in an identifiable manner with a global id.
>> I could have created a locally valid ID only, had I wanted to not
>> connect with a globally valid one.
>>
>> So your issue boils down to this: if I connect to a web site deliberately
>> with a global identifier, then I am globally identified by that web site.
>> Which is what I wanted.
>>
>> So perhaps it is up to you to answer: why should I not want that?
>
> I am not saying you should not want that, I am saying that ACLs on the
> resources do not achieve unlinkability.

Can you expand on what the dangers are?

>>> Incidentally, to observers as well as the
>>> server you connect to.
>>
>> Not when you re-negotiation I think.
>
> That's true, but is not specified in WebID, right? Also, because of
> the renegotiation attack, this is currently insecure in many cases.

WebID on TLS does rely on TLS. Security is not a goal one can reach,
it is a way of travelling. So I do expect every security protocol to
have issues. These ones are being fixed, and if more people build on
them, the priority of the need to fix them will grow faster.

>> And certainly not if you use Tor, right?
>
> Tor has no impact on the visibility of the communication at the server end.

You really need to expand on what the danger is. Because again
I think you are thinking of the site I am connecting to as the attacker.
But I may be wrong.