Re: privacy definitions -- was: WebID questions

On 10/17/12 2:17 AM, David Singer wrote:
> On Oct 16, 2012, at 20:40 , Henry Story <henry.story@bblfish.net> wrote:
>
>> But that is not yet transparency I am looking for. Because you could
>> go to a site and click mistakenly on "accept cookies forever", and
>> you could easily forget about it later. What is
>> needed I was arguing is the ability to be able to see in your URL bar
>> that you are using cookies
>> and be able to switch it off easily. Then you would be made aware
>> constantly of your identity at
>> a site.
> The problem is that many, if not most, sites use cookies, and a
> warning that is almost always on gets ignored.
>

> David Singer

David,

Yes, and that's a function of the current UI/UX patterns. The very
patterns that Henry is trying to bring to the attention of browser
developers. Fixing existing broken UI/UX patterns are the key to
bringing the "identity" issue into clearer context for browser users.

To conclude, this is a problem that can be solved by browser vendors
stepping to the plate and delivering functionality desperately sought
(knowingly or unknowingly) by browser users. There are no browser users
that seek to knowingly compromise their rights to online privacy.

--

Regards,

Kingsley Idehen
Founder & CEO