Re: P3P NOT fail

Hi Richard,

and here is Lorrie's answer:
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2012/02/web-privacy-standards-easy-to-
break-hard-to-enforce.ars

really worth reading. And I agree with her  answer to the claim that the P3P
compact format is "impractical": "It's not obvious to me there's any
fundamental reason why a proper P3P compact policy wouldn't work in that
scenario."

In the work on DNT I constantly see the desperate need for simple notification
of the user coming up. And people there constantly re-invent P3P with other
angle brackets. So claiming P3P is outdated is IMHO a self-serving
declaration. P3P is not widespread anymore and we may re-invent it in some
other ways. Because whoever asks for "Transparency:  Consumers have a right to
easily understandable information about privacy and security practices." will
have to look at P3P as it provides exactly that.
(see http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2012/02/23/we-can-t-wait-
obama-administration-unveils-blueprint-privacy-bill-rights for that last
statement)

But I also think it's clear that we won't take up P3P as is. How to re-invent
P3P? Dave Raggett had made a nice suggestion:
http://www.w3.org/2010/09/raggett-fresh-take-on-p3p/

This merits further discussion IMHO

Best,

Rigo