Re: Opt-out for wifi network of the Google Location Server

Speaking only for myself yadda yadda disclaim -

The SSID discussion is interesting, and that's a great pointer. I had not seen that document before. Good stuff. The "what is a browser?" video Jules mentioned is worth watching if anyone hasn't seen it. The closing statistic at the end is great perspective. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4MwTvtyrUQ

Jules, one trouble I have with your argument is I could invert it and still have it read just as well. There is huge benefit to society for individuals not being in state of being observed, for not needing to ask permission to be left alone in one's own home with one's own thoughts. Basic freedom. Your arguments about externalities and rate of changing defaults apply just as readily there too.

Don't misunderstand, I think _nomap is a useful hack to address the issue quickly, and worthwhile on those grounds. I confess a pragmatic problem-solving bent. But as a long term direction? Bah. This is not just privacy, which would suffice, but it is also about property. My data is not a corporate commons, even "only" identifiers like SSID and MAC addresses. If you want what's mine, the deal is, you have to ask first and respect if I say no. Not have me beg for you not to take it from me. That seems foundational for any sort of civilization.

The EU and US diverge. In cases like SSID, there can easily be different policies by region. Ideally there are ways to support regional autonomy even on the world-wide web, with what will amount to a series of natural experiments. In the abstract, that's not all bad. For domestic industry's sake, I hope US software makers do not take a page from the auto makers. They successfully fought for weaker domestic exhaust standards then found it difficult to sell into international markets. Oops.

	Aleecia