Re: Opening UP Notice: A structure to apply policy infrastructure Re: oo.apple.com

Thanks Rigo,

Great reference doc... And yes!  A standard that is simple to use..
Which is not necessarily simple to design.

An approach to reducing notices and increasing there meaning may be to
enhance existing notice practices to reduce the amount of notices
pushed to people by enabling the pulling of notices or/and notice
components. Perhaps a different approach and a broader perspective to
a notice standard than P3P taxonomy or Data Types in Dave's paper.
Clearly a common notice structure for Enterprise notices is needed
that can be structured so that the legal components can be  measured
and also be audited by individuals.  Producing notice metrics based
not only on counting the notice components but also measuring the
performance and veracity of Enterprise data practices.  Producing
notice metrics and meta-data that can be called by context to provide
an aggregate understanding of information at anytime in an individuals
web session, so as to provide a structure for more dynamic and
granular control.

For instance - Do-Not-Track --> an individual can click a -do-not-
track option and then pull a notice that the Enterprise has acquiesced
to the request not to be tracked.  This sort of system can be used  as
a way to structure public auditing and regulate participation.

I imagine a system of this nature where instead of having to read
policies, notices can be layered so that a person can get an immediate
visual/iconic view of aggregate notices in context via notice meta-
data.  (Perhaps by mode of control or governance) An information
structure that can be drill down into the notice via layers, like priv-
icons, then privacy labels, then compact privacy policies etc.

Unlike P3P and the administration of preferences, this suggestion is
more along the lines of measuring Enterprise compliance to law and
legal practices so as to facilitate interaction with those practices.
Describing an infrastructure upon which something like P3P can be
effective in asserting preferences across.  Fundamentally suggesting
Enterprise put all of their open notices and signs online in a
standard way as a matter of best practice to extend the openness of
Notices for digital use.  Raising the minimum usability of a notice by
placing it in a standard place online for needed accessibility that is
proportional to the practices of digital data gathering.  This
standard could include everything from building signs to surveillance
notices, to notices about privacy policies and the like.  This way any
applications, webservice, product, etc can call notice information
according to context.   Not only according to privacy preferences,
which people don't necessarily know or understand. (without the right
tools and common structure)

The theory being that a common Enterprise notice infrastructure that
is first accessible and available online can be measured and parsed to
be publicly accountable.  Delivering standard structure and metrics
for the performance of an Enterprise in contrast to their notice and
designed to develop uniform enforceability across  and with-in
jurisdictions to data protection regulation. (and privacy best
practices) (GAPP)

Perhaps also providing a way to harmonize regulatory policy, and
notice taxonomies. Producing a path for accountability for any type of
application product and service especially privacy and informed
consent applications.  Introducing the concept of a mechanism that can
be called at anytime to produce an aggregate visual view of
information control for the web service User that is layered.

Hope this helps introducd the difference in approach and how this may
interact with P3P.

Best Regards,

Mark