Re: WSJ - browser adoption of do not track

On Apr 15, 2011, at 23:52 , Malcolm Crompton wrote:

> The problem with all this industry self regulation is that it remains
> fractured and unstable.

Yes, it does. The upsides of industry self-regulation over government or other external regulation are that the industry can probably adapt more rapidly to new concerns, challenges, and questions, and one hopes that the industry is well informed about what is going on, what is possible, and so on.

At the moment, I fear we are facing a situation in which

* user expectations, understanding, and their associated societal norms, are developing and in varied stages in various places and people -- a fluid situation; users sometimes don't know what they want or don't want until some specific incident helps clarify, for example;

* industry practices, the technology basis, and the business models, are very much in an exploratory and developing phase right now; both new tools (e.g. HTML5) and new techniques are coming along all the time; we have a fluid situation here;

Given a situation in which both ends of the question are developing and learning as they go, hoping for perfect clarity and stability any time soon may be optimistic.

David Singer