Re: Your Web Surfing History is Accessible (without your Permission) via JavaScript

When we introduced link-visited styling it seemed obvious and benign, and only later did we realize the privacy implications.  For me, this incident is the poster-child that should force us to ask "what are the privacy consequences of doing a straightforward implementation of a W3C specification?"  The answer in the case of link-visited are incidents like the one below.

Explicitly, what kind of review of CSS3 or HTML5 is being done, to see whether there are lurking problems like this one?

On Dec 6, 2010, at 17:54 , SULLIVAN, BRYAN L (ATTCINW) wrote:

> This depends upon a CSS hack which has been a know vulnerability for about 10 years. At least Safari has implemented protections against it, and I hope that other browser do soon also.
>

> It can tell which sites you’ve been to only by checking against a specific list of domains, by checking the color assigned to a link for each site, for which it creates anchors, sniffs, then deletes. Many examples exist.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Bryan Sullivan | AT&T

David Singer