Re: [css-page-floats] First read-through

On Wed, Apr 8, 2015 at 11:42 PM, Alan Stearns <stearns@adobe.com> wrote:
[...]

> Yes, we need to specify all of the interactions, particularly with floats
> sized small enough that they could stack in any direction. If I have two
> float:left elements in a column, and the first has the default inline
> float-reference and the second has a column float-reference, how do the
> floats stack? If I have two elements with a column float-reference, one
> that’s float:top and one that’s float:left, how do those stack in either
> anchor order?

I have updated the draft, with a more specific description of how the
process of final page float placement takes place [1]. For now I have
simply specified that floats in the block direction by default fill the
entire size of the line size and the other way round. This basically means
that there cannot be floats that go up/down AND others that go right/left
within the same float reference.

This simplifies the situation, but it also means that some effects cannot
be achieved. Also, we may want two-dimensional floats, right?

>  Thinking about this a bit more, you might be able make the distinction
> between float placement (where stacking rules might place a float in the
> next fragment) and assigning a float-reference through the float-defer
> property. A float-defer:1 on a float-reference:page changes the float
> reference from the page in which the anchor is placed to the next page
> after the anchor.

The mentioned process description [1] should make it clear that there is a
distinction between the two, and only the manual change fo float reference
through float-defer is called "float deferrence".

> Defining how these new floats wrap content around them needs to be done,
> but maybe not by making them exclusions. The ‘auto’ value of wrap-flow
> allows floats to define their own wrapping behavior, so I think that’s
> still what the initial value of wrap-flow should be. If a float intrudes
> into two columns they both should wrap around the float. But if a left
> float is offset into the middle of a column, I think it should still only
> wrap around the right side.

If you wanted to achieve that effect, couldn't you achieve the same effect
by adding a left margin to the float?

[1] http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-page-floats/#page-float-placement

--

Johannes Wilm