Re: Validating FO

On Tue, January 21, 2014 6:06 pm, Dave Pawson wrote:
> On 21 January 2014 16:43, Liam R E Quin <liam@w3.org> wrote:
>> An example - page size is A4 (measured in mm), measure (line length) for
>> copy was specified by the designer in picas, and an image that cuts into
>> the text is 1 inch wide and two inches high. And you want to make the
>> designer use a pocket calculator when the computer can do it just as
>> well?
>
> No, just choose one, or the other, for any length spec.
> Though the more arcane ones could be lost with little weeping IMHO.

Little weeping by whom?  In this as is most of what we're discussing,
there's multiple points of view to be considered.

If people in Japan were having this conversation, they might add 'Q' [1],
drop everything except 'mm' [2], and Jean (if she was still here) would be
left crying over her pica ruler.

If people outside the USA 'rationalised' the units, they might drop 'in'
even if they keep 'pt' for old time's sake, whereas a US-centric
rationalisation might drop 'mm' because few would weep.

Wouldn't it be better to make life easier for the users by letting them
use the units they are comfortable with (or that are fixed in a design
that was thrust upon them, as can happen) than to make life easier for the
schema writers and software writers?

Regards,

Tony.

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2013Nov/0302.html