Re: Validating FO

On Mon, 2014-01-20 at 11:00 +0000, Dave Pawson wrote:
> On 20 January 2014 09:54, Tony Graham <tgraham@mentea.net> wrote:
>
> > XSL-FO 2.0 was following SVG in defining its color functions [2].  Chris
> > Lilley came to a F2F specifically to talk about colour/color, and we
> > decided to align with what SVG had.
>
> So Chris Lilley says it's OK... Mmm

And I, because an implementation that supports SVG graphics will have a
hard time with conflicting colour models.

Note that when you're working with print you want different ways to
specify colour than when you're designing for a screen, and video
requires yet a third way, so there are good reasons to support multiple
syntaxes, just as SVG and CSS do.

CSS is also now aligned with SVG by the way.

> >>   Mixing lengths is another irregular property set.
> >
> > I do it quite often.  From a stylesheet that I happened to have open right
> > now:
>
> That doesn't make it right Tony?

It's pretty common and the facility is designed deeply into XSL-FO.

An example - page size is A4 (measured in mm), measure (line length) for
copy was specified by the designer in picas, and an image that cuts into
the text is 1 inch wide and two inches high. And you want to make the
designer use a pocket calculator when the computer can do it just as
well?

> No. But one thing I would like to do for users is make it easier to use?
> And in this aspect, ease of validation would make it easier to use?
>   "What property can I use here" is an oft heard question IMHO

Unfortunately the answer is usually "pretty much any property" :-)
Including, of course, custom extension properties.

XSL-FO wasn't designed as an authoring vocabulary but as a rendering
vocabulary; this (to me) is a strength over HTML, which can't make up
its mind which it is.

Best,

Liam