Re: Meetup at XML Prague 2014?

On Wed, January 8, 2014 12:48 pm, Arved Sandstrom wrote:
> Mohamed, your use of the word "obviously" highlights an issue I've
> always had with conferences and symposiums and meetings. A slowly
> varying and relatively small group of people who basically all know each
> other. Before anyone suggests that I personally feel excluded and
> ignored from XML and publishing groups, and am being petty, that's not
> it, I am respected in my own small technological communities, and get to
> pundit there..pundit is not a verb but should be. :-)

Thank you for the reminder.  Cliques and 'inner circles' are a 'feature'
of just about any group, whether it's Scottish Country Dancing or XML
conferences or...

There are workshops that I go to where I'm not part of the small group,
though you can't always say that the small group recognises itself as
such, and I know from going to XML Prague last year with a colleague that
there's a group of people who know each other from other years and other
conferences that without thinking about it can talk amongst themselves if
left to themselves and from which others can feel excluded, though my
colleague spent much of the conference catching up with other people from
a previous company that I didn't necessarily know...

Hopefully the pundits punditing punditry on this list aren't seen as any
sort of inner group or the only ones who can post!  All contributions are
welcome.

> Point being, and this is seriously a major point, and people have
> suggested it by mentioning tutorials and education. It's about outreach.
> A minor part of the problem is technology, the majority is education. So
> when people "silo"...and XML Prague is a "silo", just like conferences I
> attend, it's a problem. We all get a bit too caught up in believing our
> own stuff.
>
> Arved
>
> On 01/08/2014 08:04 AM, Innovimax W3C wrote:
>> I forgot to say that I will obviously be there
>>
>> Mohamed

However, in this instance, Mohamed is a member of the XML Prague committee
[1], has chaired sessions and chivvied people into going to the social
events, and even been the poster child for XML Prague:

   https://twitter.com/xmlprague/status/268022536766369794

Regards,

Tony.

[1] http://www.xmlprague.cz/
    Is there anything you are not a member of, Mohamed?