Re: Where we headed?

On 06/05/2013 06:02 PM, Tony Graham wrote:
> On Tue, June 4, 2013 1:40 am, Arved Sandstrom wrote:
>> Tony, I like your idea, I read the posts through in detail back when you
>> first presented them. I'm looking forward to reading the paper.
>>
>> No question but that feedback seems to be where we're at.
> The paper title went for "Decision making" since it's not really feedback
> when, e.g., you get the sizes of the graphics in advance so you can decide
> whether a graphic should be column-wide or page-wide.
Well, my real degrees back in the early '80's were in Physics and
Electrical Engineering, so I guess ever since then I've never been
entirely sure what software development types mean by it. :-)

Having said that, I think it's feedback. The fact that you're getting
the sizes of the graphics in advance is a lookahead/future mechanism,
and it affects the "present", which is the deferred/delayed formatting pass.
>> I might buttress your work by doing some programmatic investigation with
>> FOP, since I'm reasonably familiar with that codebase. It's also concept
> Even I have implemented FOs and properties for FOP -- and got their areas
> in and out of the area tree XML -- but that was for a client and wasn't
> contributed to FOP.
>
>> development, and my reason for doing programmatic through an API is
>> because I am not that familiar with XSLT, but extremely familiar with
>> other programming languages [1].
> We/I may soon have a need to marry FOP and Saxon APIs.
Good thought has gone into Saxon APIs; the FOP codebase is open-source
and forkable. It's not a bad start.