Re: Customer requirement, a critque

On 2/24/2013 8:51 AM, Tony Graham wrote:

> If we made FOs (or API functions) for those specific actions, yes, it
> would be too specific to be generally useful.  So for now, it's probably
> best to treat it as indicative of the sort of thing that real-world
> customers can want: you and I may not find pictures of brake discs to be
> particularly interesting, but some people obviously do, and Patrick's
> client has presumably wanted it organised in a way that would be most
> useful for selling to disc-brake fans.  And back in the good old, good old
> days, that would have been done by pasting down lots of little photos of
> brake discs and little snippets of text, taking a photo of it all, and
> sending that off to the commercial printer.  We probably can't standardise
> everything you used to regularly do with a scalpel and a pot of glue, but
> that doesn't mean that it's already time to limit our options.

<delurk/>

I've been watching this discussion with some interest.  With my
consultant hat on, I realize there are clients/customers out there who
have very specific requirements that XSL-FO alone currently can't satisfy.

On the other hand, my current day job finds me responsible for producing
approximately 30,000 pages a month, completely lights-out, and XSL-FO
1.1 is able to satisfy all the requirements needed for that operation.

"XSL-FO is a dead end"?  No, not from where I sit.  It's another very
useful tool in the toolbox.  Could improvements be made?  Of course -
but let's not forget about those folks like me.

<relurk/>

Michael R. Hahn                            Phone: 1-316-285-0762
michael@alphabyauthor.com                    Fax: 1-316-239-2553