Consensus, timetable [Was: Goal of this group?]

On Sun, December 29, 2013 7:38 pm, Arved Sandstrom wrote:
> An emerging consensus seems to be that we adhere to the name of the
> group and discuss all publishing possibilities. Including your approach.

We've heard from 10 out of 26 voices so far this month [1], and several of
those didn't express an opinion either way; e.g., Ken talked about XSL-FO
developers in Nova Scotia, and Jirka about XML Prague 2014.

I think we'd all be happy to hear from more people about this, but we must
also be happy if people just want to exercise their prerogative to lurk.

The other facet of this is that some people who would speak up may be on
their Christmas holidays.  Schools in Ireland and the UK are on holidays
until 6 January 2014, it's probably similar in other countries in Europe,
and in the Southern Hemisphere, it's the long, Summer holidays in
Australia (at least), so there may be people taking a well-deserved break
from their emails.

There is, of course, no guarantee that we'll get a sudden flurry of
catch-up emails after 6 January 2014, but I propose to defer officially
rewriting the group description until the week beginning 6 January, and
once we have a revised description -- or possibly multiple alternative
descriptions, I don't know yet -- putting the description to the dreaded
vote so the lurkers can express an opinion without having to de-lurk.
And, learning the lesson from last time, the vote would be open for
several days so people have more time to notice the vote is on.

Until then, please continue to politely and respectfully discuss, agree,
or disagree about the group, its description, the state of print, page
layout, XSL-FO, EPUB, software, publishing (the industry) or publishing
(the activity) so we know more about the issues that concern us, not so we
can divide ourselves into opposing camps.

Regards,

Tony.
(Who'd earlier forgotten about the effect of the Christmas holidays)

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-ppl/2013Dec/author.html