Re: Revise group description?

Jean, happy NY to you too (and others). And may I say that if all
"diatribes", expositions and verbal sallies are as well reasoned and as
heartfelt (I'd say passionate, but that is a seriously over-used word in
IT) as what you and Tony wrote just now, it would be a continuing
delight to participate in technical discussions.

I think we'll continue to disagree on some points, which is cool - we
approach the matter from different backgrounds. I'll make a few
rejoinders here, simply to clarify my thinking.

1) You use the phrase "far more than reports". We could possibly have a
clashing definition of "report": although I eschew routine references to
Wikipedia, my idea of "report" is basically
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Report. In other words, documents that are
as sophisticated and element-rich as anything else out there. A fair bit
of what I do as a software consultant for government and corporations
involves reporting.

2) And although this is anecdotal - my own experience and what I have
heard from colleagues over the years - I think there are at least two
major communities to be considered here. Organisations whose raison
d'etre is publishing, and organisations who have publishing requirements
but their existence is not contingent upon it. I have always worked with
the latter. By organisation I don't mean just company, it can be
department or section.

A lot of publishing - a very large percentage in my opinion - is
undertaken by small groups (one to <5 people). It's not uncommon for a
government department or company with several thousand people to have
dozens of 1-2 person groups who have a publishing task. And they are
directed by different people, funded through different channels, and
there is no uniformity as to technology. So you may have dozens or
hundreds of people in an enterprise who publish content, but really
there are very many independent teams.

Small groups like this don't have the sophistication, background or cash
to invest in, or master, everything we are talking about here. We have
mentioned a slow rate of XSL-FO adoption: guess what, the majority of
developers don't know XSLT at all, let alone know how to use it well.
The majority of developers have never read the XML spec for that matter,
which is foundational.

3) My last paras agree and disagree with several of your points. A fair
bit of publishing that I replace as a consultant is Excel reports (not
so much MS Word :-)). People hate the Excel/Word approach, but the
automated approach requires developers and apparently costs more money.
Ostensible fail.

Are developers more expensive than front-line UI button pushers? I doubt
it. But I'm a developer, I'm biased. :-)

4) Totally with you on DITA, I've mentioned it before, I use the
technology. I like it. Hard to sell sometimes; ironically
people-intensive systems often win out.

As a developer I think that the adoption problems with XSL-FO _are_
perception, and in fact bad advertising. You've got like a few tens of
millions of coders on the planet, and a lot of them get HTML and
JavaScript and CSS. Master all that, and you could master XSL-FO.

Arved