Re: FOPRunXSLTExt for Antenna House

On Mon, December 2, 2013 10:14 pm, Tony Graham wrote:
> Maybe the project name needs to change once this actually works, but I've
> added an extension function for use with AntennaHouse [1], though it's
> currently failing because the argument specifying rendering to the area
> tree isn't being recognised:
> Currently asking for help on the Antenna House mailing list.

Help wasn't forthcoming, but I fixed it myself.  It looks like it was a
bug in the AHF Java interface.

And after a bit of assistance [1] on the Saxon mailing list, I got the
extension function to return a document node for the AHF area tree.

So we now have an AHF extension function, but: the function signature is
different since it was easy (eventually) to return a document node; the
AHF extension function uses Saxon 9.5 because I upgraded during my quest
to get it to work; and the AHF-extension stylesheet has improved logic for
working out when to stop iterating compared to the FOP-extension one.

I'm not a fan of duplicating code between stylesheets unless I really have
to.  Example 5 still doesn't use much from the area tree so I kept the FOP
area tree lookups in the AHF-extension stylesheet and munge the AHF
lengths to look like FOP millipoints, so the stylesheet should work with
either a AHF or a FOP area tree.  The next step is to add a stylesheet
parameter specifying the FO processor to use and make a stylesheet that
works with either by choosing the right extension function.  After that,
we can do the same for the other examples' stylesheets.

It would be better to have one, common area tree format than to have
stylesheets that cope with multiple, but it's a place to start.

Regards,

Tony Graham                                   tgraham@mentea.net
Consultant                                 http://www.mentea.net
Mentea       13 Kelly's Bay Beach, Skerries, Co. Dublin, Ireland
    XML, XSL-FO and XSLT consulting, training and programming
       Chair, Print and Page Layout Community Group @ W3C

[1] http://sourceforge.net/p/saxon/mailman/message/31754010/