Re: publishing conditions

On Mon, April 16, 2012 7:00 pm, Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> ASF contributors don't sign over copyright interest. They give the same
> license to the ASF as the ASF gives to anyone who downloads Apache
> products and is ok with the license terms. The license is very
> permissive [1] and the test cases publicly available. Anyone can just go
> ahead and use them.

Sorry, I was using 'copyright interest' because that's in the CLA but I
think all I really proved is that IANAL.

But I still don't think that any of us could just put the FOP tests on the
hypothetical ppl Mercurial repository and then see them published under
W3C copyright and W3C license, and I don't know how it would work if a
test suite was partly under W3C license and partly under Apache license.

> I'm sure not all the tests will be of interest for a vendor-independent
> test suite, but they could be packaged together by reference and
> downloaded from the ASF's Subversion repository (by HTTP) as required. I
> don't think it's necessary to duplicate a lot of that test suite into
> the W3C, essentially creating a fork. After all, anyone can contribute
> new test cases to FOP. I'm sure the FOP community would also be open to
> suggestions for maintaining additional data per test if that helps the
> vendor-independent test process.

I've found the FO files of more interest than the assertions in the test
descriptions since FOP's area tree does things in 1/1000 pt and xmlroff
does things in 1/1024 pt.

Regards,

Tony.