Re: POWDER comment

Hi Krzysztof,

I just realised that we've not replied to you yet. Answers inline below.

Krzysztof Maczyński wrote:
> from http://www.w3.org/TR/2009/WD-powder-grouping-20090403/:
>> If the Path is absent, a path of / is appended.
> What should that mean for schemes like tel, mailto or urn?

Section 2.1 begins: "The syntax of an IRI, as defined in RFC 3987
[IRIS], provides a generic framework for identification schemes that
goes beyond what is demanded by the POWDER use cases [USECASES]. We
therefore limit our work to IRIs with the syntax:
scheme://iuser@ihost:port/ipath?iquery#ifragment.

As you've noted, most of the Grouping of Resources document focusses on
HTTP IRIs. However, dig a little deeper and you'll come across
POWDER-BASE. In this dialect, there are only two possible IRI
constraints: matchesregex and notmatchesregex. Transformations from
POWDER to POWDER-BASE render constraints such as includehosts as regular
expressions.

Then in Section 3 we set out an extension mechanism: "...there is no
fundamental reason to constrain the domain of POWDER descriptions to
HTTP IRIs, so there should not be unnecessary constraints on how the
protocol works. In other words, the domain of grouping extensions does
not need to be HTTP IRIs, but may be any kind of IRIs. As an example, in
Section 3.3 we show such an extension for ISAN numbers."

So /any/ URI scheme can be the basis of an IRI set - you would just need
to define an appropriate element set which could then be transformed
programmatically into matchesregex and notmatchesegex.

  And why does "Path" start with a capital?

Absolutely no reason whatsoever! It's a typo that will be corrected.

Thanks for taking the time to review the doc.

Phil.

--

Phil Archer
http://philarcher.org/www@20/

i-sieve technologies                |      W3C Mobile Web Initiative
Making Sense of the Buzz            |      www.w3.org/Mobile