Re: Signalling to proxies

Rotan Hanrahan wrote:
[...]
> Yes, I accept that the charter prohibits the creation of new technology,
> and I openly admit that I placed the idea into the CT forum mainly
> because the audience is right, despite the charter limitation. I copied
> the POWDER group because I hope that this use case will get some
> prominence, and maybe through a formalised example it might actually be
> adopted. After all, Robots is not an official standard and look how
> successful it has been.

I think there are three separate things here:

1/ the use of POWDER, and POWDER is indeed not an existing technology yet.

The CT Task Force chose to mention the use of POWDER in the "Scope for
Future Works" appendix for that reason. We felt (how naive one can be
sometimes ;)) that going to Rec would be quick and easy and that we
would have been slowed down by a dependency on POWDER. I'm not quite
sure today that the Content Transformation Guidelines will beat POWDER
in the race to REC, but I don't think we should revisit that decision
anyway.

2/ the definition of a core vocabulary that a server could use in its
POWDER file(s) to communicate with a content transformation proxy. I
guess there is "new technology" and "new technology", and that one could
argue that a vocabulary is not exactly a new technology.

Again, the CT Task Force decided against it because it still looks like
new technology.

However, were this exercise be done and the results brought to our
knowledge, I think we could reasonably (at least try to) incorporate
them in the guidelines without triggering an apocalypse.

That's just my personal take on this. I still think we, the CT Task
Force, should not work on that. My real fear is that defining and
agreeing on a core vocabulary is not an easy exercise at all. Am I too
pessimistic?

3/ the definition of a well-known location to place a POWDER file.
Probably not a big deal if it's not standardized right away, especially
since we may still use the Link element for the time being. I note the
notion of well-known locations is used by the P3P spec for example:
http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/REC-P3P-20020416/#Well_Known_Location

Francois.