Re: POI data model examples serialised as JSON, XML, HTML5 & KML

On Sep 29, 2011, at 12:03 PM, Rob Manson wrote:

> Hey Alex,
>
>> There is a TimeSpan element in KML that allows a begin and end time:
>> http://code.google.com/apis/kml/documentation/kmlreference.html#timespan
>
> This would definitely work as native kml synonyms for pois:start
> (TimeSpan begin) and pois:end (TimeSpan end).
>
> Any ideas for created/updated?  KML has <Create> and <Update> but I
> think these have a very different meaning 8/

Right, so KML (as it is rendered by Google Earth can consume and ignore other namespaced XML.
I you want that data available in the balloon popups then you can use extended data key value pairs.

>> KML has key value pairs through the ExtendedData element:
>> http://code.google.com/apis/kml/documentation/kmlreference.html#extendeddata
>
> Yep...but that's definitely not the same as adding custom attributes
> within existing elements.  So using namespaced elements is about the
> same verbosity level.  They would be a good alternative to namespacing
> in general for kml though.

For KML, the ExtendedData is the "supported" method for including metadata.
Since a KML example is somewhat of a demonstration of "attribute matching" we might as well use it.

> BTW: I've updated the kml in my draft example02 to remove the atom
> namespace usage and to just rely on the kml native "name" element as a
> synonym for pois:label.  I think kml was the only example that really
> was a bit of a mishmash and this is a bit more tidy now 8)
>

> roBman

Alex Hill Ph.D.
www.alexshill.com