Re: Personal comments on latest editor's draft of POI Core

On 05/09/2011 10:32 AM, Thomas Wrobel wrote:

> +1 to decimal baring, that's pretty certain.

Yes, I see the draft has an issue about radians vs. degrees.  I won't
comment about that, but even if degrees, it needs to be a decimal.

> " In a format to be recursively composed of <poi> elements from many
> sources, the likelihood of ID collisions is great."
>
> What do you mean by recursive in this context?

The <poi> element in the XML serialization has an "id" attribute.  In
XML, attributes named "id" are almost always of type xsd:ID, which has
restrictions on the lexical representation, and on the semantics.  If
you do a query over a POI database for "Home" and obtain a result
serialized as XML
then that would violate the semantic requirement that each id attribute
in the document be unique.

Also, the lexical requirement for ID excludes spaces, numeric first
characters, and a bunch of other things, making this invalid:
<poi id="1. Tom's Place" />

The suggestion I made was to use a name attribute instead, so you are
free to define your own syntax and semantics for it.  Then you can use
name for the machine-readable name and label for the L10N label, and use
this terminology consistently in the data definition and all serializations.

However, if you're looking to make the id be unique in the document,
then using URIs as you suggest makes sense.  I saw some hints of that
with "#" in some of the examples.  I'd suggest taking a look at the
CURIE working draft which defines a straightforward way of dealing with
the URI prefix problem.  (Briefly, it shows how to declare prefix
definitions so you can say "eq:" is "http://earthquakes.usgs.gov" and
then you can define your poi attribute to by a URI.)

While on this topic you might take a look at RDFa, which defines a set
of attributes you can place on some other XML (or HTML) for adding in
attributes such as "about", which might be good for this purpose instead
of "id" or "name".  (RDFa has some measure of adoption on the web, being
used in Google Site Maps and other such places.)

Leigh.