From: Martin Hepp <martin.hepp@ebusiness-unibw.org>
Date: 29 April 2011 11:24
Subject: ANN: Ravensburg/Germany is the world's first city of Semantic
Web-based Commerce and Tourism
To: public-lod@w3.org, semantic-web@w3.org

Dear all:

Ravensburg in Germany has just turned on the regular publication of
complete, quality-controlled RDF/GoodRelations data about

- all (99%) shops, stores, restaurants
- with opening hours information and
- address details.

Information for developers is here:

  http://www.lieber-ravensburg.de/developer/

This is complemented by a GoodRelations-based mobile application for
iPhone and Android that shows points of interest with opening hours
information, available from

  http://www.lieber-ravensburg.de/

While GoodRelations is popular around the world, the Ravensburg data
is unique in several ways:

- Completeness and coverage: Basically all points of interest in the
city are included in the more than 700 records.
- Data quality: The data is regularly updated. All opening hours
information has been validated by contacting the respective owners.
While we cannot guarantee that 100 % of the data is valid, it is
definitely one of the best quality-controlled data sets on the
Semantic Web.
- Ready for real-world use cases: Ravensburg is an important center of
trade and tourism, with many visitors from near and far. The dataset
can be easily integrated into novel mobile services of any kind, e.g.
smartphone applications.
- Extensible: The data complies with relevant W3C standards for the
Semantic Web and can thus be easily integrated with other data based
on the Resource Description Framework (RDF).

So if you plan any mobile or browser-based GoodRelations application,
Ravensburg may be the best location in the world to test or
demonstrate it.

For copyright reasons, I cannot attach a map illustrating the enormous
data density, but you can e.g. use

  http://mccarthy.dia.fi.upm.es/goodrelations/#dashboard

to visualize that; click on "LocationOfSalesOrServiceProvisioning" on
the left side, then zoom into Ravensburg (this is near the dark black
marker, in the middle of the Southern part of Germany).

If you make any use of the data, please let me know.

Best wishes

Martin

martin hepp
        http://www.heppnetz.de/ (personal)