Re: POI based Open AR proposal

On Sep 2, 2010, at 10:30 , Henning Schulzrinne wrote:

> Two quick remarks:
>
> - See LoST (RFC 5222) for an example of a global distributed infrastructure for mapping. Such infrastructure is probably well beyond the scope of the W3C.

Thank you, I will have a look at that. I just threw a very fast glance at it, is it correct in understanding that a likely scenario is to have a well known server to query and which may serve links and services relevant to a certain geographic area? As an example, would that mean that if you are in downtown Tokyo all stores, services, and all other info needs to register themselves to one server/service in order for the user to know where to query?

> - The challenge is to find the minimal set of things that *must* be standardized, not the superset of all the things that *could* be standardized. We presumably don't want to re-invent ontologies, general query languages or scripting languages. I doubt that we'll succeed if we worry about representing "return all the descriptions that are in this polygon, are owned by the National Park Service, have been recommended by the Lonely Planet, are on my Facebook friend-list must-see list, with descriptions suitable for minors and don't charge more than $5 for access", to include just a few possible dimensions. For some of these, normal XML XPath and ontology cousins will likely be needed, for others, you will have to write a program that accesses APIs that are either standardized by the W3C or, as likely, semi-proprietary.
>
> Thus, I think it would be helpful, in my view, to pare down, rather than try to re-invent the whole web.

I completely understand the conservative point of view on scope for standardization activities. Yet I would think that a discussion on how these may be used in the coming years is a good discussion to have. I believe that the AR/POI WG will both work with a small standardization scope as well as a general discussion on a wider AR scope. Not sure how these two different horizons will be handled, does W3C keep more than one mailing list per WG?

BR,
Klas