Re: POI based Open AR proposal

This may be a bit off topic but I think it is crucial that we lift our eyes a bit beyond the current AR browsers such as Layar, Wikitude etc. Channels (or opt-in streams that I like to call them) is the current style of many AR browsers. I have in my positional paper [1] for the W3C AR Barcelona workshop made the point that useful AR browsing requires relevance. This relevance requires "a lot of content" and to then apply filtering where a very important part of the filtering is to apply the user context. This "a lot of content" and filtering will require a different setup from the current request-response scheme of today's web. Similar to how google search engine ranks results off client infrastructure must most likely prepare this ranking. At the same time the aggregation and filtering should not be single server work or we will end up single point of failure and a structure which breaks the organic and independent distribution infrastructure that makes the current web so valuable.

So in summary, I wish we would stop talking about channels as the major AR browsing method for the AR. Of course we need to cover the current ways in order for the standard to be relevant but let's ensure the standard can grow and in a good direction.

BR,
Klas

[1] http://www.w3.org/2010/06/w3car/beyond_the_keyhole.pdf