Re: [uk-government-data-developers] Couple of Ordnance Survey things

On Aug 23, 2010, at 8:20 AM, Thomas Wrobel wrote:

> "Does one want to associate their content with -85.0,34.0 or at the
> Klaus Computing building?"
>
> I think most(all?) people agree that co-ordinates alone shouldn't be
> the only way to tie the real world to data.
> However, you have to think in terms of how it will physically work,
> and not just the easiest way for the content creators to assign
> things.
>
> For example; How will a device know what/where the "Klaus Computing
> building" is ?
> Surely by tieing it to that String, it would require an additional
> look up, from a government database, or another source every time a
> client needs to know. This could cause a lot of wasted bandwidth no?
> Surely its better for any "fixed" locations to be specified at
> creation time, not looked up at viewing time? You make one call to
> find out co-ordinates when your assigning content. But for every
> client looking at it, they dont need to look at the database because
> to those devices its just raw co-ordinates.
> Defining a region (like the shape of the building itself) is a good
> idea, and something being discussed too. (Although I suspect a center
> pivot point would need to be done anyway though, even in that
> scenario).Also  might be worth looking at;
> https://research.cc.gatech.edu/polaris/content/infrastructure-service
> too, which prepossess a survive for delivering infer-structure models.

If not clear already, this is the work from our lab.
The main point we make is that buildings and other structures are a resource that should be shared between multiple authored AR channels.
We merely break these models (which are useful for collision testing, content occlusion and relative referencing of content) out from the delivery of AR content.
A potential advantage of this approach is that "looking at the side of the building" can become a reflection of the infrastructure services and becomes a resource the author can take advantage of (i.e. when "staring at the side of ABCDEF1234" trigger event X) without having to manage that complexity.
Different infrastructure services may reference the same GUIDs, but can provide different levels of fidelity, accuracy, responsiveness, etc. (i.e. Verison's service vs. US Cellular's sevice)
Relative referencing (instead of absolute coordinates) makes it easier for authors to place content in prescribed locations (i.e. bulletin board, above our sign, etc.) that may change in time (i.e. renovations, moving objects) or may be generalized across multiple situations (i.e. on the bulletin board of any Chilli's, above the sign of any Chilli's)
We also make a similar point about tracking data sources; that they are a resource to be shared by multiple AR channels.
In ideal situations, all channels will take advantage of all available tracking data (i.e. Natural Feature Tracking against a building), however some channels of content may have been authored based on the best information available at the time and choose not to take advantage.
A simple example is using coordinates to define the location of an augmentation instead of relative to the feature desired (i.e. relative to the front door).