Re: [uk-government-data-developers] Couple of Ordnance Survey things

On Aug 23, 2010, at 8:20 AM, Thomas Wrobel wrote:

> "Does one want to associate their content with -85.0,34.0 or at the
> Klaus Computing building?"
>
> I think most(all?) people agree that co-ordinates alone shouldn't be
> the only way to tie the real world to data.
> However, you have to think in terms of how it will physically work,
> and not just the easiest way for the content creators to assign
> things.
>
> For example; How will a device know what/where the "Klaus Computing
> building" is ?
> Surely by tieing it to that String, it would require an additional
> look up, from a government database, or another source every time a
> client needs to know. This could cause a lot of wasted bandwidth no?
> Surely its better for any "fixed" locations to be specified at
> creation time, not looked up at viewing time? You make one call to
> find out co-ordinates when your assigning content. But for every
> client looking at it, they dont need to look at the database because
> to those devices its just raw co-ordinates.
> Defining a region (like the shape of the building itself) is a good
> idea, and something being discussed too. (Although I suspect a center
> pivot point would need to be done anyway though, even in that
> scenario).Also  might be worth looking at;
> https://research.cc.gatech.edu/polaris/content/infrastructure-service
> too, which prepossess a survive for delivering infer-structure models.
>
> For things that can't be done at all with co-ordinates (like your car
> example), we have to think of what other data to use so the device can
> get a fix on if its in view, and where it is.  My view is this pretty
> much has to be an image. Some sort of image recognition of the car,
> that can then be associated with data. It could also be a RFID, or
> another identifying technology....but that would require a physical
> change to the car, so it seems less practical.

I think this is a good example of why Rob Manson is proposing something akin to a sensor-based approach.
Although image recognition seems to be the "ground truth" for registering content to objects, that image recognition will
only likely be a part of a larger identification process.
Data communications between the vehicle will likely narrow the visual search and provide vital disambiguation information.
While unrealistic only a decade years ago, it isn't inconceivable that every object (i.e a Gillette Razor) will have a built in communication and tracking device before we
have reliable image recognition on mobile devices.
Either way, I think we have to acknowledge that image recognition always need some form of contextual aid - and that leads us to including other complementary sources in the equation.