Re: [pointerevents] What should be the width/height of touch pointerUp?

From: Mustaq Ahmed via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2017 19:46:11 +0000
To: public-pointer-events@w3.org
Whatever we do, all pointer types should reflect it.  We shouldn't treat "touch" in a special way.

This is somewhat related to #65 where we discussed hovering width/height for mouse.  The discussion there suggests to me that _not_ resetting width/height on `pointerup` is a better option:
- For paint apps that would possibly care the most about width & height (e.g. Rick's [paint.html](https://rbyers.github.io/paint.html)), reporting the last contact geometry on the `pointerup` event removes the need to cache last known dimensions.
- If some digitizers report default non-zero constant values, we shouldn't hide them.  E.g. if a "thick" stylus tip causes the digitizer to report high width & height, the hovering cursor of the stylus could be wider than normal when possible, to let the painter know (before the pen touches the surface) that pen's stroke is wider.
- Both Chrome and Edge mouse reports width=height=1 for a while already.  We shouldn't change it even for a hovering mouse pointer unless there is a specific use case we want to support.

--
GitHub Notification of comment by mustaqahmed
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/pointerevents/issues/225#issuecomment-341217952 using your GitHub account