Re: Blink does not plan to implement pointer events

From: Scott González <scott.gonzalez@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2014 14:05:33 -0400
To: Rick Byers <rbyers@chromium.org>
Cc: Olli Pettay <olli@pettay.fi>, "public-pointer-events@w3.org" <public-pointer-events@w3.org>
On Tue, Aug 19, 2014 at 10:41 AM, Rick Byers <rbyers@chromium.org> wrote:

> It's not just that it's heavy (talking with Jacob it appears we have about
> the same hit testing costs as IE - roughly 2% of the 16ms frame budget).
>  There are certainly ways we could improve it, but at the cost of
> additional complexity that could be spent on improving perf elsewhere.
>  Developers tell us that performance is the #1 reason they choose native
> mobile platforms over the web (which is the #1 problem we're trying to
> tackle).  As such we're essentially unwilling to make any new design
> choices which put the web at an inherent performance disadvantage relative
> to Android and iOS native platforms.

So the assumption here is that developers will continue to choose native
over web because of the .3ms spent on hit testing during pointer movement?
I think that's really far fetched. I've met many many developers who prefer
Pointer Events over Touch Events, but less than a handful of developers who
prefer Touch Events over Pointer Events. I can't imagine that many
developers are concerned about the performance hit in this area over
developer ergonomics.