Re: Internet Explorer Mobile Touch Events support

On 08/01/2014 11:46 AM, Rick Byers wrote:
> Also, any idea how this matches Firefox's approach for supporting both
> types of events?  I know at one point they were considering an
> either-or model of firing the events, but hopefully I persuaded them
> that would be a bad idea.

Our work-in-progress implementation fires both sets of events.  We did
run into one interesting question:

Without touch events, the input thread does not need to wait for the
main (script) thread to decide whether to begin scrolling.  Based on the
input and the touch-action property, the input thread can send a
pointercancel event (and suppress further pointer events) as soon as a
scrolling gesture begins.

With touch events, things get trickier.  Scrolling can't start until
script finishes handling the touchstart and touchmove events.  What if
the input thread receives further input while waiting for this
processing, possibly including a pointerup event?  It would need to
queue up that input until it learns whether the touchstart and touchmove
events were canceled, and then either suppress it or dispatch it.  This
would significantly complicate implementation, and change the behavior
and timing of pointer events compared to browsers without touch events.

We are considering the following behavior:  As soon as a touch gesture
with a default action begins, check whether the default action is
allowed by touch-action.  If it is allowed, immediately send
pointercancel and suppress further pointer events for that touch,
*regardless* of whether any touch events are subesquently canceled or
not.  If the default action is not allowed, then continue sending both
pointer events and touch events.

The effect for content authors is that, if they want to continue
receiving pointer events, they *must* use touch-action to prevent
default actions. (Just calling preventDefault on touch events is not
sufficient.)  This is already the case for browsers like IE11 that
support pointer events without touch events, so we don't think this will
cause any compatibility issues.  However, it could certainly be
surprising to authors.