Re: Touch-action to SVG elements

On Wed, Mar 26, 2014 at 4:15 PM, Jacob Rossi <Jacob.Rossi@microsoft.com>wrote:

> I agree "except" is clearer.  I pushed an update to fix this and the out
> of date note that Rick pointed out:
>

> https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/pointerevents/raw-file/tip/pointerEvents.html#the-touch-action-css-property
>
> "Applies to: all elements except: non-replaced inline elements, table
> rows, row groups, table columns, and column groups"
>
> "Note: The touch-action property applies only to elements that support
> both the CSS width and height properties (see [CSS21] ). This restriction
> is designed to facilitate user agent optimizations for low-latency touch
> actions. For elements not supported by default, such as <span> which is a
> non-replaced inline element (see [HTML5]), authors can set the display CSS
> property to a value, such as block, that supports width and height. Future
> specifications could extend this API to all elements.."

Love it!  One pre-existing issue: I've always been uneasy about the 'future
specifications' part - that would be a breaking change with potential web
compat impact (eg. preventing scrolling in scenarios that scrolling is
possible today).  I'd prefer we just remove any speculation here (whether
or not we could make such a change won't be impacted by what we write
here).  I.e. just axe the last sentence.  WDYT?