Pointer capture clarification

From: Patrick H. Lauke <redux@splintered.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2014 16:42:19 +0000
To: "public-pointer-events@w3.org" <public-pointer-events@w3.org>
Just a theoretical question at this stage, to see if I understand this
right (not got around to making a test for it yet): am I understanding
correctly that it is possible, with pointer capture, to grab and consume
any pointers regardless of *where* the pointer got into the active
buttons state? i.e., it's possible for a script to just check, say, at
window level when a pointerdown happens (to get the pointerID), and then
set the pointer to be captured on some element (perhaps even a visually
hidden one), effectively swallowing any further pointer activity until
pointerup or pointercancel is fired?

Not saying it's good or bad, but just checking that I got this
right...i.e. the element that then receives the captured events does not
have to be the one that was initially "pointerdown-ed" ?

Patrick H. Lauke