Re: Touch-action to SVG elements

From: Rick Byers <rbyers@google.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2014 15:09:06 -0500
To: gnanasekar.s@samsung.com
Cc: "public-pointer-events@w3.org" <public-pointer-events@w3.org>
Thanks Gnanasekar,
I've copied your test cases here for easy sharing:
http://jsbin.com/APacaYUh/latest/edit

I think the confusion boils down to the meaning of "SVG Elements".  I don't
know much about SVG, but I read that to include elements like <rect> and
<path>, but I think the intention here is to include only <svg>.  Perhaps
this is just a matter of tweaking the wording from:
  block-level elements, SVG elements
to:
 block-level elements, the <svg> element

Presumably <a> is included in the "block-level elements" category (even in
an SVG context)?  Someone who understands the nuances of SVG vs. HTML
semantics probably needs to vet the wording here.  Regardless I believe the
intention is that touch-action hit testing is NOT performed on individual
SVG objects, just the top-level <svg> container.

Rick

On Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 9:53 AM, GNANASEKAR S <gnanasekar.s@samsung.com>wrote:

>  Hi,
>
> Need Clarification for touch-action to SVG elements
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/pointerevents/#the-touch-action-css-property) says
> that the touch-action property is restricted to SVG elements.
>

> We made few basic test case to check the behavior of  touch-action to svg
> elements and tested on IE11. And we see that it pass only in the case of
> svg elements <svg>  and <a> elements.
>

> Test Case1: touch-action:none on a <svg> this pases on IE11
>
> Test Case2: touch-action:none on a <rect> this fails on IE11
>
> Test Case3: touch-action:none on a <a> this pases on IE11
>
> Test Case4: touch-action:none on a <path> this fails on IE11
>
> Test Case5: touch-action:none on a <animate> this fails on IE11
>

> Does the touch-action is restricted only for <svg> element?
>
> If not, what are the other svg elements it applies.
>

> Do we have example testcase available for touch-action to svg elements?
>
> I dont see any example in the spec for svg elements.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Gnanasekar S

201401132027802_9INH0GAN.gif
(image/gif attachment: 201401132027802_9INH0GAN.gif)