W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-pointer-events@w3.org > April to June 2014

Draft minutes: 3 June 2014 call

From: Arthur Barstow <art.barstow@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2014 11:55:43 -0400
Message-ID: <538DEFFF.6020900@gmail.com>
To: "public-pointer-events@w3.org" <public-pointer-events@w3.org>
The draft minutes from the June 3 voice conference are available at the 
following and copied below:

<http://www.w3.org/2014/06/03-pointerevents-minutes.html>

WG Members - if you have any comments, corrections, etc., please send 
them to the public-pointer-events mail list before June 10. In the 
absence of any changes, these minutes will be considered approved.

-Thanks, ArtB


W3C <http://www.w3.org/>


  - DRAFT -


  Pointer Events WG Voice Conference


    03 Jun 2014

Agenda 
<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-pointer-events/2014AprJun/0063.html>

See also:IRC log <http://www.w3.org/2014/06/03-pointerevents-irc>


    Attendees

Present
    Art_Barstow, Cathy_Chan, Rick_Byers, Scott_Gonzαlez, Jacob_Rossi,
    Asir_Vedamuthu, Olli_Pettay
Regrets
    Sangwhan_Moon, Patrick_Lauke
Chair
    Art
Scribe
    Art


    Contents

  * Topics <http://www.w3.org/2014/06/03-pointerevents-minutes.html#agenda>
     1. Tweak agenda
        <http://www.w3.org/2014/06/03-pointerevents-minutes.html#item01>
     2. Bug 25758: Change PointerEvent width and height to double
        <http://www.w3.org/2014/06/03-pointerevents-minutes.html#item02>
     3. Testing
        <http://www.w3.org/2014/06/03-pointerevents-minutes.html#item03>
     4. CR implementation status
        <http://www.w3.org/2014/06/03-pointerevents-minutes.html#item04>
     5. Plan of Record (PoR) to get Pointer Events to REC
        <http://www.w3.org/2014/06/03-pointerevents-minutes.html#item05>
     6. Touch Events CG and use of HG
        <http://www.w3.org/2014/06/03-pointerevents-minutes.html#item06>
     7. A Potential F2F Meeting
        <http://www.w3.org/2014/06/03-pointerevents-minutes.html#item07>
     8. AoB <http://www.w3.org/2014/06/03-pointerevents-minutes.html#item08>
  * Summary of Action Items
    <http://www.w3.org/2014/06/03-pointerevents-minutes.html#ActionSummary>

------------------------------------------------------------------------

<scribe> ScribeNick: ArtB

<scribe> Scribe: Art

<smaug> and unstable


      Tweak agenda

AB:since I submitted the draft 
agendahttp://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-pointer-events/2014AprJun/0063.html, 
a couple of topics appear to be have resolved themselves and thus we can 
drop them.
... any objections to dropping the "high-frequency mouse/touch" topic as 
proposed by Rick?

[ None ]

AB:any objections to dropping Bug 25758 (change width and height to 
double) as proposed by Jacob?

JR:I think we should talk about that bug

AB:ok
... during the AoB section I would like to briefly confirm the group's 
Plan of Record (PoR) aka The End Game. Any objections to that?

[ None ]

AB:during the AoB section, I would like to add a short process-related 
topic on the use of HG by the Touch Events 
CGhttp://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-touchevents/2014Jun/0000.html.Any 
objections to adding that?

JR:no, that's ok

… want to add something else about a potential f2f meeting

AB:ok, we'll add that too
... any other change requests?


      Bug 25758: Change PointerEvent width and height to double

AB:http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-pointer-events/2014AprJun/0053.html.

Discussion

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-pointer-events/2014AprJun/0051.html.

RB:I think JR just wanted to see if anyone had any comments

JR:I thought adding tilt would be good but don't think so now

… we could always take that up later if needed

… I am talking to send some pen based companies

RB:you missed one thing on the constructor

<jrossi>*ACTION:*jacob to update pointerInit constructor [recorded 
inhttp://www.w3.org/2014/06/03-pointerevents-minutes.html#action01]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-107 - Update pointerinit constructor [on Jacob 
Rossi - due 2014-06-10].


      Testing

AB:First up is PR 
324https://github.com/w3c/web-platform-tests/pull/324/, f.ex. the status 
and merging. I think there is a proposal to merge now and then "pick up 
the pieces". Basically, what is the plan to complete the test suite.
... then how to handle additional PRs; who is going to do what; ...

JR:can we get consensus to merge PR324?

… then we can stage additional tests

… can't really work on other PRs until 324 is merged

… I would prefer to land 324

AV:all of the feedback is now on the PR

… feedback has been addressed

… we have other PRs but they depend on 324 thus it is now critical path 
for other work

… There are some other test cases that require 324 to land

… We can address any issues with 324 as new PRs

AB:anyone object to merging 324 as is?

RB:sounds good to me

<asir> Thank you Rick!

AB:ok, then we have a resolution

*RESOLUTION: group agrees to merge PR324 as is*

AV:please submit other PRs as soon as possible

JR:we have 2 more

AV:I think it's more like 3-4

JR:but they are smaller than 324

… think Scott wants to combine some tests

SG:there are TTWF tests

… need to look for overlaps

… so we don't get dups

… Might want fewer test files

JR:need a queue/list of things we need to test

… think we are mostly done

… only a few more things to test

AV:Scott, what are you going to contribute?

AB:perhaps Scott can reply to the list

<scribe>*ACTION:*Scott send a todo list re testing that needs to be done 
[recorded 
inhttp://www.w3.org/2014/06/03-pointerevents-minutes.html#action02]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-108 - Send a todo list re testing that needs 
to be done [on Scott Gonzαlez - due 2014-06-10].

SG:yes, that's fine. I need to talk to DaveM.

AB:sounds good

<scribe>*ACTION:*Jacob run the merge for PR324 [recorded 
inhttp://www.w3.org/2014/06/03-pointerevents-minutes.html#action03]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-109 - Run the merge for pr324 [on Jacob Rossi 
- due 2014-06-10].

AV:the other tests pending are mostly touch-action related

AB:excellent

AV:is anyone else planning to submit tests?

AB:not me

CC:no

RB:no, although I'll review the touch-action tests

… I assume they will cover what we want

AV:we used your prior input Rick when we created the tests

RB:great


      CR implementation status

AB:can we please do a quick round robin re the status of Chrome, 
Firefox, IE, Opera

RB:we have been reaching out to web sites

… expect touch-action on for chrome 36

JR:I need to do some more reach out

RB:nice to see this cooperation on touch-action

<rbyers> :-)

<rbyers> go ahead without me, be back shortly

OP:some patches are landing

… original plan was Metro but plan now is Android and other platforms

… not sure how many releases before PE is enabled

… we do have most of the code landed

JR:not much new to report; we have some bugs but they are minor

… I don't think we have any bugs that cause interop probs

RB:re touch-action hit testing and matching Blink with IE

… I have gotten some pushback re complexibility

… there is a relevant non-norm note in the spec

… Is anyone else interested in precices hit testing text in the spec?

… The hit test is done on the bound of the element

… If inline and exceeds bounds of its parent

[ JR reads the specific text ]

JR:I think we have some test cases for that

… I don't think this is going to be a big interop issue

RB:perhaps we should change note to MAY?

… elsewhere we say hit testing is out of scope

JR:true; perhaps it isn't needed

… I don't like using 2119 words in Notes

RB:Elliott and Adam convinced me we should change our impl

… we're doing two hit tests now and want to do as few hit tests as possible

JR:are you replicating hit testing off thread?

RB:it's off thread now

… for compat need sites to opt in

… all hit testing is main thread

[ some details of IE and Blink hit testing missing ]

JR:I'm ok with removing that note

AB:I don't have anything to add

OP:I don't recall what Gecko does here

AB:so, create an Action for Jacob to remove the note; anyone that 
objects can do so on the list

<rbyers> Context from blink side 
here:https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/forum/#!topic/input-dev/En4Jr3ZunRw 
<https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/forum/#%21topic/input-dev/En4Jr3ZunRw>

<rbyers> A couple minor corrections: we currently do touch-action hit 
testing only main thread (and would like to collapse this special 
touch-action hit test into the normal one we're already doing).

<scribe>*ACTION:*jacob remove the hit testing note (bounding box) per 
agreement on 2-June-2014 [recorded 
inhttp://www.w3.org/2014/06/03-pointerevents-minutes.html#action04]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-110 - Remove the hit testing note (bounding 
box) per agreement on 2-june-2014 [on Jacob Rossi - due 2014-06-10].

<rbyers> we do other hit-testing off-thread, but fall back to main 
thread if we can't be sure


      Plan of Record (PoR) to get Pointer Events to REC

AB:just wanted to reiterate our plan to get Pointer Events spec to 
Recommendation. The basic plan we previously agreed is:
... Complete test suite;
... Do the interop testing; (if necessary, fix bugs and repeat)
... Create Implementation Report (IR)
... After we have 2 more implementations that pass each test, publish a 
Last Call WD with a link to the test suite and IR; include a clear note 
that in the absence of any major issues raised during the 3-week LC 
comment period, since we already have proven interoperability, we intend 
to skip Candidate Recommendation and the next publication will be 
Proposed Recommendation

JR:sounds right to me

AV:yes, sounds right

<smaug> sounds ok

<rbyers> sounds good

<Cathy> sounds good

AV:when is the right time to update references?

AB:which references are you concerned about?

AV:HTML spec is one

… need to update a few

AB:we should update refs right before LC

… I think we're going to be ok


      Touch Events CG and use of HG

AB:I believe everyone in the Touch Events CG should now have write 
access tohttps://dvcs.w3.org/hg/webevents.As such, I will reply 
tohttp://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-touchevents/2014Jun/0000.htmlthe 
issue is resolved.
... did anyone else try?

JR:I didn't

RB:MikeSmith gave permissions to everyone in the CG


      A Potential F2F Meeting

JR:Rick and I have been talking about some various problems

… not necessarily touch or pointer events specific

… We are planing to get together

… where we is Blink and IE

… we are meeting for some brain storming on June 23

<smaug> Yes, please ask mbrubeck__ to join the meeting

… expect that any proposals would be brought back to the appropriate group

<rbyers> Brainstorming notes 
here:https://docs.google.com/a/chromium.org/document/d/1C6P3Mhza1jdMJyP9G6fr7n7zcXrCmwih1o2xohFVEhc/edit

RB:this doc includes potential topics

… people should feel free to add topics

… interested in priorities and other items

… Sorry this is last minute

… Some of us are going to be in CA that week so we are going to go to 
Seattle to meet with Jacob and his team

AB:it's good to meet

… have you thought about announcing the meeting

RB:we just agreed to meet yesterday

… we can announce on the lists and ask people to contact us if they want 
to join

AB:please do announce

… Matt might be able to join since he lives in Seattle

JR:we might be able to use this meeting to help us understand what we 
want to do with respect to formal standardization

RB:we have a lot of items for potential work and need to discuss priorities

AB:ok, thanks the headsup

… can I get one of you to agree to send some hightlights and summary to 
the PEWG and TECG lists?

RB:yes, I'll do that

<jrossi> FYI - I've removed the touch-action hit testing 
note:https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/pointerevents/rev/5b06a2e374b7

<scribe>*ACTION:*rick send summary/highlights of Seattle meeting to the 
PEWG and TECG lists [recorded 
inhttp://www.w3.org/2014/06/03-pointerevents-minutes.html#action05]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-111 - Send summary/highlights of seattle 
meeting to the pewg and tecg lists [on Rick Byers - due 2014-06-10].


      AoB

AB:no call on June 10
... please continue to address open actions, open bugs, etc.
... anything else?
... meeting adjourned

JR:one bug I fixed 24923 yesterday - please review and submit feedback


    Summary of Action Items

*[NEW]**ACTION:*jacob remove the hit testing note (bounding box) per 
agreement on 2-June-2014 [recorded 
inhttp://www.w3.org/2014/06/03-pointerevents-minutes.html#action04]
*[NEW]**ACTION:*Jacob run the merge for PR324 [recorded 
inhttp://www.w3.org/2014/06/03-pointerevents-minutes.html#action03]
*[NEW]**ACTION:*jacob to update pointerInit constructor [recorded 
inhttp://www.w3.org/2014/06/03-pointerevents-minutes.html#action01]
*[NEW]**ACTION:*rick send summary/highlights of Seattle meeting to the 
PEWG and TECG lists [recorded 
inhttp://www.w3.org/2014/06/03-pointerevents-minutes.html#action05]

*[DONE]**ACTION:*Scott send a todo list re testing that needs to be 
[recorded 
inhttp://www.w3.org/2014/06/03-pointerevents-minutes.html#action02]

[End of minutes]
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Received on Tuesday, 3 June 2014 15:56:15 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Tuesday, 6 January 2015 20:20:26 UTC