RE: Exposing high-frequency mouse/touch movement?

From: Jacob Rossi <Jacob.Rossi@microsoft.com>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2014 21:08:41 +0000
To: Rick Byers <rbyers@google.com>
CC: "public-pointer-events@w3.org" <public-pointer-events@w3.org>, input-dev <input-dev@chromium.org>
On Fri, May 30, 2014 at 3:34 PM, Rick Byers <rbyers@google.com> wrote:

> +chromium input-dev since some folks there have been involved in specific scenarios.
>
> We've had some complaints about gaming scenarios involving the mouse (for games that are fast enough to process more than one input event during a frame).  We are also starting to put a bit of effort into stylus scenarios (eg. working with Wacom to add some minimal support to ChromeOS via MouseEvents). I agree that it's unlikely to be very important for touch due to the inherent imprecision, but in general we're always looking to expose all the power of our underlying platform - so we at least want to understand this problem better to help prioritize.
>
> So if it's stylus scenarios that are more important to you, why does Windows 8 seem to have a touch-specific API here?

My team doesn't build Windows Runtime APIs, but I'll speculate.  Since WinRT is Windows only and there's a versioning system in place for apps, they can afford to err on the side of the kitchen sink approach to provide more capabilities.

> Is there some other way to get the full history (or disable coalescing) for stylus events?

History, yes: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/hh454889(v=vs.85).aspx
Disable coalescing, no (for any input type).

-Jacob