Re: click and contextmenu events

On Sat, Feb 23, 2013 at 3:22 AM, Jacob Rossi <Jacob.Rossi@microsoft.com>wrote:

>  In IE10, click follows the DOM Events definition, which is that it is
> dispatched to the nearest common ancestor of the down and up events. This
> has the positive aspect that you can extend the physical object analogy of
> touch to UI like buttons:  touching down on the left side then dragging to
> the right and lifting will still activate it (like a physical button).
> Generally speaking, we don’t see accidental activation when dragging (you
> used the term “pan”, but since we’re talking touch-action: none, I’m using
> “drag” so as not to be confused with scrolling). This is because you often
> drag over multiple elements, which means the click will go to some
> arbitrary non-activatable parent element. That said, you’re right that
> there are scenarios where this isn’t ideal (consider a canvas-based map
> where dragging would be over a single element and cause a click). While we
> don’t have immediate plans to change our behavior, I wouldn’t put that
> beyond the realm of possibility. Though I don’t see any definition, beyond
> what’s already called for by DOM Events, being in the scope of this group.

Thanks Jacob, that makes sense.  I suppose since mouse already behaves this
way, scenarios like the map one already need to suppress/ignore a click
after drag.  I had forgotten that mouse behaved that way.  Do you think
think we should reference the DOM Events definition in the PE spec (even if
non-normative), or just leave it as is?  Given all the existing touch event
implementations differ here, it seems like an easy source of developer
confusion (and potentially UA divergence).

> Yes, contextmenu is like click (not a compatibility mouse event). Hence
> why I include it in my proposal to use the PointerEvent object. Probably
> worth adding contextmenu to the sentence in PE that says click is not a
> compatibility mouse event.

Sound good, thanks.

 -Jacob****