Testing Pointer Events [Was: Draft agenda for 26 February 2013 call]

Re the testing agenda topic for the Feb 26 call, below are some of my
thoughts.

-AB

On 2/25/13 7:43 AM, ext Arthur Barstow wrote:
> 3. Testing Pointer Events v1 spec: testharness.js
> <http://www.w3.org/2008/webapps/wiki/Harness>; use hg for test
> repository (<https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/pointerevents/tests/>) ; test
> assertions - something like
> <http://www.w3.org/2010/webevents/wiki/TestAssertions>?

We already agreed to use testharness.js, the same harness used by many
other WGs to test APIs like Pointer Events.

Regarding the test repository, I propose using a directory structure
similar to the one used by  WebEvents and that would mean directories
like the following:

.../hg/pointerevents/tests/pointer-events-v1/

#Submissions from WG members go in their own directory under the
submissions dir:
.../hg/pointerevents/tests/pointer-events-v1/submissions/
.../hg/pointerevents/tests/pointer-events-v1/submissions/Google/
.../hg/pointerevents/tests/pointer-events-v1/submissions/Microsoft/
.../hg/pointerevents/tests/pointer-events-v1/submissions/Mozilla/
.../hg/pointerevents/tests/pointer-events-v1/submissions/Nokia/

#Tests approved by the group are copied to the following directory:
.../hg/pointerevents/tests/pointer-events-v1/approved/

Since some tests will require some type of user interaction (i.e. not
totally automated), it could be useful to clearly "tag" the related file
as such. For example, name the file something like
"manual_feature_blah_blah.html" or put all manual tests in a separate
directory (perhaps labeled something like "manual_tests"). Of course,
metadata within the file could also be used. Any suggestions or
preferences here?

Lastly, Cathy created a list of Test Assertions for the Touch Events
spec and that was a valuable resource, especially with trying to scope
the set of tests needed
<http://www.w3.org/2010/webevents/wiki/TestAssertions>. Do people think
something like this would be useful? Is anyone willing to lead such an
effort or contribute to it?