Re: Transformed Pointer Coordinates?

On Feb 11, 2013, at 4:56 PM, Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org> wrote:

> I'd like to make some progress here so we can implement something...
>
> On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 2:04 PM, Jacob Rossi <Jacob.Rossi@microsoft.com> wrote:
> At least in pages I've built, going from one element to another was the more common scenario for me.  So before learning about these webkit APIs, I was expecting something off of Element or Node. For example:
>
>      toNode.convertPointFromNode(fromNode, pt)  //Converts the Point pt from the coordinate system used by fromNode into the coordinate system of toNode and returns it
>
> So then you can do:
>
>     htmlElement.convertPointFromNode(document, pt)  //Same as convertPointFromPageToNode
>     document.convertPointFromNode(htmlElement, pt) //Same as convertPointFromNodeToPage
>     htmlElement1.convertPointFromNode(htmlElement2, pt) //Convert between 2 elements
>
> Sounds reasonable. So something like this?
>
> [Constructor(float x, float y)]
> interface DOMPoint {
>   attribute float x;
>   attribute float y;
> }
>
> partial interface Node {
>   DOMPoint convertPointFromNode(Node from, DOMPoint pt);
> }
>
> 'pt' is in CSS pixels relative to the top-left of "from"'s first border-box. Returns a point in CSS pixels relative to the top-left of the destination node's first border-box.
>
> Edge cases:
> 1) If 'from' is a Document, the point is relative to the top-left of the CSS viewport. Likewise if the destination node is a Document.
> 2) If 'from' is a text node, use the first box from the list computed by Range.getClientRect. Likewise if the destination node is a text node.
> 3) If 'from' or the destination are an Element, follow the CSSOM spec for getClientRects() to deal with anonymous boxes: http://dev.w3.org/csswg/cssom-view/#widl-Element-getClientRects-ClientRectList. The first box in the list produced by getClientRects is used.
> 4) If 'from' or the destination node are not a Document, text node, or Element, throw INVALID_NODE_TYPE_ERR.
> 5) If 'from' and the destination node have no common ancestor browsing context, throw NOT_FOUND_ERR.
> 6) If the destination point is not uniquely determined (e.g. because the destination node has a singular transform on it), return 0,0.
>
> Any thoughts?

Slightly related to this discussion is a proposal at the SVG WG meeting[1] to support 3D transformation matrices[2]. We want to make it possible to map a point to a transformation matrix. The point in the case of the SVG WG is a dictionary:

dictionary Point {
	double x = 0;
	double y = 0;
	double z = 0;
	double w = 0;
}

The w might be unnecessary since implementations seem to normalize the point by the intermediate w value. It would be great to align these two use cases.

Greetings,
Dirk

[1] http://www.w3.org/2013/02/07-svg-minutes.html#item03
[2] http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/WG/wiki/Proposals/Matrix